We all know about the word “hacking” that means illegally accessing the system firewall for performing various malicious activities. But, in today’s digital era, there has been a twist in the world of hackers that is Ethical hacking which is the legal form of hacking. With evolving cyber crimes the government and organizations are required to secure and protect their essential information. That’s what brings Ethical hacking into the spotlight.
However, in the e-commerce ecosystem, the arrival of more and more companies working on cloud computing has resulted in increasing the threat from security breaches. According to a survey by Nasscom in 2015, India needed more than 77,000 white hat hackers but only around 15,000 certified professional ethical hackers were there in that year. Thus, there is a shortage of talent in this sector. As a result, many top companies are looking for Certified Ethical hackers to test the system security and help in improving the firewall. This has created a high level of interest for individuals to become Ethical Hackers. But, to become one you have to be passionate about this field as this pathway is not the easy one. So, in this blog we will talk about Ethical hacking and its certification exam details including the pathways to crack the exam
Before moving on to the certification let’s have a quick overview about Ethical hacking.
Understanding Ethical Hacking
Ethical Hacking refers to the process of penetrating one’s computers to which one has official permission to do so as to determine if vulnerabilities exist and to undertake preventive, corrective, and safe measures before a system threat takes place. Moreover, it helps government agencies to identify and locate the potential threats to national security. Ethical hacking helps in identifying the weak part of the company firewall or for software security. To know more about it, let’s talk about the benefits.
- Firstly, the main purpose of ethical hacking is to secure the companies sensitive data from those willing to exploit the vulnerabilities.
- Secondly, with real-world testing, you can enhance your digital network security and prevent security breaches.
- Thirdly, ethical hacking can prevent cyber-terrorism and terrorist attacks with ensuring the safety of the nation.
- Moreover, it will help you in gaining new skills that are useful in a variety of roles, including risk management, network defender, quality assurance tester, and software developer.
- It provides various employment opportunities for those wanting a new role or hoping to impress their organizations.
- Lastly, ethical hackers have advanced tools and methods to speed up the identification and elimination of all vulnerabilities in the system.
Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH): Certification Overview
Talking about the Certified Ethical Hackers, they are skilled professionals having understanding and ability to look for weaknesses and vulnerabilities in target systems. And, then using the same knowledge and tools as a malicious hacker but in a lawful and legitimate manner to assess the security posture of a target system(s). Getting a CEH certificate will prove that the individual is in the specific network security discipline of Ethical Hacking from a vendor-neutral perspective.
However, the Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) program helps the information security professionals to gain the fundamentals of ethical hacking globally. Moreover, this certification will help you to become a professional who has required knowledge to inspect network infrastructures to find security vulnerabilities which a malicious hacker can exploit. In addition, this exam helps you to assess the security pattern of an organization by identifying vulnerabilities in the network. Moreover, about the system infrastructure to determine if unauthorized access is possible.
Ethical hacking includes services like the following:
Coming onto the certifications exam details. In this section you will get to know about the exam pattern , the essential requirements and the important topics for the exam.
The exam details are an important part as this will help you to know about the exam pattern and the requirements to give the exam. So, for an ethical hacking exam let’s understand the pattern and the eligibility criteria.
- Firstly, the Certified Ethical Hacking exam code is (CEH) 312-50.
- Secondly, the time duration for the exam is 4 hours.
- Thirdly, there will be 125 questions in the exam.
- The exam will cost you $850 USD.
- However, the exam cut score can range from 60% to 85% depending on the exam form.
- Lastly, the exam test delivery is the ECC exam and VUE.
Eligibility requirements for the exam
- Firstly, candidates must have completed official training through an EC-Council Authorized Training Center (ATC).
- Secondly, candidate will be granted permission to attempt the exam without an official training only if:
- Firstly, the Candidate has two years of Information Security related experience.
- Secondly, the candidate remits a non-refundable Eligibility Application Fee of $100 (USD).
- Lastly, the candidate submits a completed Exam Eligibility Application.
The important topics of the exam includes:
- Introduction to Ethical Hacking
- Footprinting and Reconnaissance
- Networks Enumeration
- System Hacking
- Malware Threats
- Social Engineering
- Denial of Service
- Session Hijacking
- Hacking Web servers
- Hacking Web Applications
- SQL Injection
- Hacking Wireless Networks
- Hacking Mobile Platforms
- Evading IDS, Firewalls, and Honeypot
- Cloud Computing
Ways to prepare for the Ethical Hacking Exam
Achieving the Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) certification credentialing is a respected and trusted ethical hacking certification in the industry. Moreover, this will provide value and help your career move to a higher level. Nowadays, Certified Ethical Hackers work with some of the finest and largest companies across industries like healthcare, financial, government, energy due to demand. So, if you have made up your mind for this certification then you have to prove it with your hard work. Below, we will talk about the methods and ways that will help you to prepare for the exam.
Create a Study time table
Yes, the best way to start preparing for the exam is to first set the time table. That is to say, try to create study hours accordingly in which you only study. As for becoming a hacker you need to have a hacker mindset, so you need more extra time to understand the concepts. By doing so you can easily maintain your study flow while ignoring the distractions.
Understanding Ethical Hacking Domains
To get advanced, you have to get into the core of this certification exam. That is to say, you need to have a high understanding in hacking and as well as the other systematic process. This exam is going to test your knowledge on the basis of the domains they provide. If you master the domains then it will help you a lot to pass the exam. They are:
This include sub-domains:
- Firstly, Network and Communication Technologies
- Secondly, Information Security Threats and Attack Vectors
- Then, Information Security Technologies
Analysis / Assessment
The sub-domains in this are:
- Firstly, Information Security Assessment and Analysis
- Then, Information Security Assessment Process
- Information Security Controls
- Then, Information Security Attack Detection
- Lastly, Information Security Attack Prevention
Tools / Systems / Programs
Sub-domains in this are:
- Firstly, Information Security Systems
- Then, Information Security Programs
- Information Security Tools
Procedures / Methodology
- Information Security Procedures
- After that, Information Security Assessment Methodologies
Regulation / Policy
It include sub-domain that is:
- Information Security Policies/ Laws/Acts
- Ethics of Information Security
Online Training Program
The training programs will help you to become professionally certified as an Ethical Hacker. However, these programs will provide you advanced knowledge of hacking tools and techniques. In this, you will work on your own system by scanning, testing, hacking, and securing it. This course will help you in learning the different approaches based on five phases. This includes enumeration, maintaining access, covering your tracks, reconnaissance, and gaining access.
Moreover, the main thing is to be passionate about your goal. To become an ethical hacker it is necessary that you should think and perform like a hacker.
Join Online Study Groups
Joining online study groups and communities is a great way to explore what is happening in the world of hacking. As there are big communities of hackers spreaded across globally. In these groups you get access to get in touch with both beginners and professionals. Moreover, here you can comfortably share your issue or problem related to the hacking.
Practice exams play an important role during your preparation. These tests will help you to know about the weak and strong areas. For that, you need to take these exams as the real exam to understand things better. In this even if you scoreless for the first time but you get to know where you were wrong and vice versa. However, there are many training providers out there that offer free practice tests for the Certified Ethical Hackers exam.
What’s next? After becoming Certified Ethical Hacker, what skills and abilities do we get. Moreover, what is the market value of ethical hackers?
Ethical Hackers: Market Value
Ethical hacker is an expert that helps companies to realize their vulnerabilities. They basically work for businesses or government organizations. However, from the past year the threat over cloud computing has increased, This has created a fear amongst top organizations for their data. As a result, the demand for ethical hackers is showing good growth because every other company needs to protect their data. The ethical hackers have proficient knowledge of various operating systems and hacking techniques.
Salary of Ethical Hacker
What you will learn as an Ethical Hacker
- Firstly, you will know about various types of footprinting, footprinting tools, and countermeasures.
- Secondly, you will learn about network scanning techniques and scanning countermeasures.
- Thirdly, working on system hacking methodology, steganography, steganalysis attacks, and covering tracks.
- Then, you will learn about different types of Trojans, Trojan analysis, and Trojan countermeasures.
- Moreover, you will get working knowledge of viruses, virus analysis, computer worms, malware and countermeasures.
- Lastly, you will learn about various types of penetration testing, security audit, vulnerability assessment, and penetration testing roadmap. In addition, you will get to know about different threats to IoT platforms and learn how to defend IoT devices securely.
In this world we are dealing with terrorist organizations funding cybercriminals to breach security systems and various other cyber threats.Thus, this has resulted in the rise of cybercrime. Choosing an Ethical Hacker career pathway at this point is the best decision but it is not going to be easy. As many organizations are facing challenges of updating hack-preventing tactics to protect the system before falling victim to the hacker. Thus, the demand for professional ethical hackers is on top. But, for this you need to be advanced in this. That is to say, there is a lot to practice and to work so that you get certified as a professional ethical hacker. Lastly, prepare well and crack the exam with a good score. Stay safe!
Upgrade your ethical hacking skills. Become a Certified Ethical Hacker Now!